Friday, August 23, 2024

Heart Matters

When you commit wrong, what is more at stake -- your reputation or your relationship with God? The proper Christian answer, we know, is "our relationship with God". But let's dig a little deeper. When I tell a lie, am I more concerned about being found out or that I have hurt God's heart? When I lose my temper, am I worried about the consequences or do I quickly repent in the Lord's presence? What about my sinful thoughts and intentions that no one even knows about? When I do something that people applaud, but grieves God, whose opinion matters to me?


David had a heart that was sensitive to God, and his relationship with God held higher priority than his reputation. His "undignified" dancing upset his wife, but he was more focussed on praising the Lord with all his might. When he had committed adultery and murder, and he was convicted by prophet Nathan, his heart's cry was, "do not cast me away from your presence; do not take your Holy Spirit away from me" (Psalm 51:11). He didn't pray that he would be able to keep his throne or that his reputation wouldn't suffer. He got to keep those, but that wasn't where his eyes were, or his heart was. He fully realized he had sinned against God.


But, not so with King Saul. He was more of the people pleaser. He wanted to look good in front of others. He had terribly broken God's heart; he was rejected by God, the Holy Spirit was taken away from him. Did it concern him? Not at all! His only request was to be honored before his people (1 Samuel 15:30).


No wonder David is called "a man after God's own heart" (1 Samuel 13:14). May we, be like David, people after the Lord's own heart. Let us be focussed on pleasing Him and be quick to return to Him, even when we sin. Let us make it right with those we have wronged, even if it costs our reputation.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully written Sis. Sharon. God bless you 🙏

    ReplyDelete