Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Lord's Prayer

The title perhaps reminds you of the prayer that begins "Our Father who art in heaven..." That is how Jesus taught His disciples to pray. But, that's not the prayer I am referring to here. This is a prayer that Jesus Himself prayed. What better way to learn about prayer than to listen to Jesus Himself pray?

We read about the prayer that Jesus prayed just before He was arrested and then crucified. He was very close to the culmination of His earthly mission. He knew He was about to bear the weight of all the sin on Himself. It was going to be an intense moment, when He would be deserted by dear friends, suffer physical pain, cry out in agony, and go through death. Just a little while before His arrest, here's what He prayed:

"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39)


Based on a Relationship

Jesus prayed because He was in an intimate relationship with the Father - He and the Father are one. Jesus was having a conversation with the Father.

Sometimes, I am tempted to pray at God, rather than praying to Him. At times, it seems easier for me to ramble a few familiar sentences rather than take the time to look at God and have a conversation with Him. But He is more interested in relating to us than going through our list of petitions.

Honest Prayer

Jesus preferred that the cup (perhaps, the cup of suffering He was about to go through) be taken from Him. Of course, He knew that was the very reason He came down to earth. But He was honest in prayer about what He thought and felt.

One night, I was angry. I didn't even want to talk to my husband. And I didn't feel like praying. Well, who else do I talk to? After a few minutes, I broke the silence by talking to God. This is how I started: "Lord, I am angry, and I don't even feel like praying". I had actually started praying already! A few moments into that conversation with God, my anger just melted away and the Lord's sweet presence filled me with His love. Not that I had to inform God how I felt. He already knew. But God loves a sincere from-the-heart prayer (even if it is just a sigh) more than a lengthy and great sounding prayer that is only from the lips. (Luke 18:9-14)

Submission

After Jesus voiced His desire, He brought it under the subjection of the Father. He did not beg that He would somehow get His way through, but He prayed that the will of God would prevail. I think that is how every prayer should end - by yielding to Him who knows the best!

As we pray, may our desires align more with God's!

No comments:

Post a Comment